Friday, September 5, 2008

There is a problem with Susanne


5 living artists inspire me. Susanne Apgar is one of those artists. When I met Susanne in 2000, I fell in love with her style, her art, and with her. I will be bold and state that I have a crush on Susanne.

Whenever I see a new piece by Susanne I want to keep it.

I would love to get into her brain and understand how she sees the world and how this translates to canvas. She inspires me and she makes me expand my perceptions of art.

She is an avant-garde genius that cannot be touched.For her to give me this X-ray is humbling. I cannot match her talent, but this is my homage to Susanne the artist.Repeated themes in Susanne’s work are genetics, science, medicine, and their interaction with the living human body. Human, animal and fauna are living creatures that can be meddled with in laboratories by those with a vested interest in altering perfection in an attempt to achieve what they are destroying.

These were the 3 elements I drew for this piece.The canvas is a door my father made that was rejected due to an imperfection. The canvas is the showcase for those things in life that are also rejected for their imperfections; a fate that often befalls the subjects of Susanne’s painting.

The first piece I purchased of Susanne’s was “The New Gene Circus” and flags were a central theme to the series (and the piece I acquired), in which voiceless and mutated creatures communicated through flags. My family defined themselves with flags.

When I was a child, Ste Anne’s Birthday was celebrated feverously in our town of Yamachiche. All the citizens put up flags in her honor and all houses would pay homage to her and we were united in this as we identified as Catholics, family, and community members through this sacred act.

Five of these flag holders were incorporated into Susanne’s homage, and these were in my family’s possession for more than 30 years. Every year they rusted, and every year they were filled with newer versions of flags that said and communicated the same thing.

They reminded us and reaffirmed that things were as they had been the year before and that we were safe. These rituals were to remind us of our imperfections. Now they speak a different truth, one that challenges and empowers. The passages proclaimed by the flags are extracted from The Dentist and The Toothfairy and are phrases that remind me of Susanne’s work. I feel it is a perfect fusion between our works.

The red light is a subtle red… blood split behind the scenes in our search for perfection.

This piece is now showing at Headquarters gallery.
1649 rue Amherst
Montreal QC
514-678-2923

There’s a Problem With Susanne – Jerome Prieur 2008
Mixed Media - Acrylic and Ink on Wood
Donated Dental Records (x-rays) – Susanne Apgar
Special thanks to Aline Plante.
24”x 18”x 13”
Sold

No comments: