Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Child's box

This Child’s name is Fred. He sits in front of me every second Saturday and plays video games. I tease him for being loud, but he never says a word. He is the quietest child ever.One day he comes to me with a bloodied grin and hands me a tooth.I was long done collecting teeth for my show, and had a week to put the finishing touches on the show. He could have given it to the tooth fairy, put it under his pillow, shown it to his parents, and then collected his monetary reward.But as quietly as he sat in front of me every two weeks, he now stood in front of me with a tooth, not more than a few minutes out of his mouth.There are moments in life where things just make sense, and do not need deep interpretation. This was one of them. I had received children’s teeth, but they were all given to my by the adult that had long grown up, but who had kept these teeth. This was the only tooth given to me by a child.There was no sentimental attachment, or any emotional investment at this point. Just a kid holding a tooth that he was willing to donate. The piece is the modern tooth fairy tool; it is a wooden box on a stand. This tool of modernity is efficient and to the point. No risk of lost teeth, no concerns about whether the tooth fairy can find it. The tooth is in the box. End of story.

This piece is now available for sale at the gallery Headquarters
1649 rue Amherst
Montreal QC
514-678-2923

The Child’s Box – Jerome Prieur 2008
Mixed Media - Acrylic and Ink on Wood
Donated Tooth – Fred Maltais
Special thanks to Aline Plante.
19 “x 5” x 5”
SOLD

No comments: